What Soft Foods to Eat After Dental Work
What Foods Can You Eat After Having Dental Surgery?
The thought of dental work such as wisdom teeth removal, general tooth extractions, or even dental implants, can be unsettling but with a little preparation, patients can have a good experience and a smooth recovery. One of the easiest ways to prepare for significant dental work is to make sure the fridge and pantry are stocked with soft foods before-hand. Always follow your dentist’s or surgeon’s post-op instructions to avoid risk of infection but below are some ideas of foods to eat after wisdom teeth removal, oral surgery or significant dental work to support a smooth recovery.
27 Soft foods to eat after oral surgery and dental work:
- Apple sauce
- Mushed up fruits such as bananas or avocados
- Well cooked vegetables
- Mashed potatoes
- Well cooked pasta
- Smoothies (avoid seeds)
- Ice Cream
- Milkshakes (eat with spoon – do not drink with straw)
- Mushy peas
- Soup soaked bread
- Cottage cheese
- Soft cheeses
- Tuna or chicken salad (no celery)
- Deli meats
Other Post Dental Surgery Tips
- Drink lots of water
- If bleeding continues after an hour following surgery, you may try biting on a moist (not hot) black tea bag. The black tea can assist with blood clotting.
- Rinsing mouth out with water during first 24 hours is ok but rinse gently. After 24 hours, rinsing with warm salt water is recommended. Make rinse by mixing 1 tablespoon of salt with one cup of warm water. Do not try to dislodge any blood clots as this will prolong the healing process.
What foods not to eat after dental work:
- Avoid caffeine, carbonation, alcohol, and hot beverages
- Do not drink from a straw for at least a week – The sucking can dislodge the blood that is clotting in the socket
- Do not eat foods that are spicy as this can irritate the gums
- Do not eat acidic foods as this too can irritate the surgical site
- Stay away from foods with seeds as they can get stuck in the wound area and / or dislodge blood clots.
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 hours following tooth removal surgery as this can cause try socket.
Have any more questions?
If you are still wondering what foods to eat after wisdom teeth removal or any other type of dental work, don’t hesitate to ask your dentist. We at Irvine’s Art of Dentistry Institute encourage our patients to bring up all of their questions and concerns whether in office or by giving us a call so don’t delay and give us a call today!